Sunday, December 6, 2015

A Final Afterthought and a Big Thank You

As you all know by now, I am not a CMC Major. In fact, the only CMC class I had taken previous to this one was CMC 100 my Freshman year. With that said, I absolutely loved this class and I owe that to all of you. I had previously not been in a class with such engaging discussions that truly challenged the realm and depth of my critical thinking skills.  This class has been an extremely uplifting, enlightening, cathartic, and even therapeutic experience for me, one that I really had been searching for throughout my  time as a Rollins student.

This course taught me a lot about my self and the perceptual lens through which I experience the world; more so than I was ready for. As a senior, I kind of just took this class because I needed credit and I wanted to have a class with Dr Cummings. As the course progressed, I realized how much I was learning from my peers as well as from the course material. In my experience, there are typically only one or two people that add  substance to class discussion, at least in most communication classes. With this class, you all challenged my perception and pushed me to look through various lenses rather than my own. Furthermore, being able to genuinely discuss such a variety of complex works with so many perceptions was fantastic.

As far as the material goes, I can definitely say I look at the world through a very different lens I previously did, especially in regards to media. With so much theory in the back of my brain now, I will never be able to see any form of media as simply “entertainment,” I know that everything is deeper than that. I certainly will never be able to look at Disney the same either!


You all made me grow a tremendous amount this semester. You gave me everything I really needed from a college course, for the first time since I began at Rollins. Thank you all so much for being integral parts of such an amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment